Thus we greet with derisive laughter PolitiFact's Sept. 5, 2014 bestowal of a "True" rating on President Obama's declaration "We cut our deficits by more than half."
Curious about what "we" cut the deficits? PolitiFact Wisconsin is here to help:
|"We" is "he": Obama (image from PolitiFact.com)|
Well, no. It's a load of hooey that PolitiFact has consistently helped Obama sell.
Here are some insignificant things PolitiFact Wisconsin found:
- "When you use Obama's methodology to compare the deficit Obama inherited -- the 2009 result minus the stimulus package to that in 2013 -- the drop in the deficit is slightly under half, at 48%."
- "'The economic recovery, wind-down of stimulus, reversal of TARP/Fannie transactions, and lower interest rates are really what has caused our deficit to fall so much,' Goldwein told us. He mentioned cuts in discretionary spending as well."
- "(Ellis) and Goldwein emphasized that while the deficit has been halved, it’s been halved from a skyscraping peak."
Here are some insignificant missing things PolitiFact Wisconsin didn't bother to mention:
- PolitiFact claims it takes credit and blame into account. But Obama carries little (if any) personal responsibility for reducing the deficit by half.
- Remember those obstructionist Republicans who block the Democrats' every attempt to pass jobs bills and keep critically important entitlement benefits flowing?
- PolitiFact's expert, Goldwein, mentioned cuts in discretionary spending. Way to go, Obama! Oh, wait, that was largely a result of the sequestration that the president blames on Republicans.
Obama tries to take this set of circumstances largely beyond his control to fashion a feather for his own cap.
To PolitiFact Wisconsin, none of that is significant. What a joke.
For more on Obama's effect on the deficit and debt, see the following Zebra Fact Check articles:
FactCheck.org says federal spending has increased ‘far more slowly’ under Obama than under Bush
Is the federal deficit ‘falling at fastest rate in 60 years’?
Edit 11/08/2014 - Added link to original PFW article in second paragraph - Jeff